Realms of Cthulhu: Masks of Nyarlathotep
Edwin Reid, P.I.
Hard Boiled Private Investigator
Rank: Seasoned (37 XP)
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d8, Vigor d6
Skills: Fighting d6, Guts d6, Investigation d4, Lockpicking d6, Notice d8+2, Persuasion d4, Shooting d8, Stealth d8, Streetwise d6
Charisma: 0, Pace: 6, Parry: 5, Toughness: 6, Sanity: 5, Corruption: 0
Hindrances: Phobia: Drums and African Rhythms (Penalty: ‑4 on Trait tests in presence of phobia), Code of Honor, Loyal: Friends.
Interests: City Knowledge (NYC), Forensics, Geology, Law Enforcement.
Edges: Brawny, Two‑Fisted (Ignore multi‑action penalty when fighting with two weapons), Level Headed (Draw additional action card), Alertness (Notice: +2).Gear
- Cigarette case (Cost: 0, Weight: 0)
- Webley Revolver: 2d6+1 (Range: 12/24/48, RoF: 1, Cost: 105, Weight: 4, Shots: 6, AP: 1, Text: Revolver)
- Flashlight (10” beam) (Cost: 20, Weight: 3)
- Lighter (Cost: 0, Weight: 0)
- Moleskin notebook & pencil (Cost: 0, Weight: 0)
- Pocket knife (Cost: 0, Weight: 0)
- .45 Automatic: 2d6+1 (Range: 12/24/48, RoF: 1, Cost: 105, Weight: 4, Shots: 7, AP: 1, Double Tap)
- Pump Action Shotgun (12g): 1‑3d6 (Range: 12/24/48, RoF: 1, Cost: 105, Weight: 8, Shots: 6, Shooting: +2, 1d6 S/2d6 M/3d6 L)
- .25 Derringer: 2d6+1 (Range: 5/10/20, RoF: 1, Cost: 12, Weight: 2, Shots: 1, AP: 1, .44 caliber)
Edwin graduated high in his class at Columbia, with a focus in Forensics. Following that, he was recruited into a promising career with the Justice Department where he then worked bootlegging and organized crime cases for several years. During this time, however, Reid became discontent with the bureaucracy laden government, he wanted to spend more time solving cases, making a difference. In December 1923, He resigned to start his own private practice in the Upper East Side of Manhattan, just before the dawn of J Edgar Hoover’s new Bureau of Investigation.
A few missing person cases, a couple NYPD consulting jobs, and a handful of stolen heirloom reports are all the work Edwin has managed to glean for himself since the conception of his private firm. In the hazy air behind a tinted glass door that reads “Edwin M. Reid: Private Investigator”, he waits for that one-big-case to prove himself.
The work of a freelancer isn’t all Edwin hoped it would be, but it still beats pushing paperwork.
The only family he keeps up with is his kid brother Charles, who is an anthropology masters’ student at good ole’ Miskatonic U.
—> He is played by Orson Welles, circa 1940.
Character connections: —> has worked with friend and colleague, Bill Carriage with the NYPD on several cases.